We have experience assisting both municipal and private clients with all aspects of municipal and planning law from the initial negotiations to attendance before the Ontario Municipal Board. We also have extensive by-law, contract and policy drafting experience.
We have assisted our municipal clients with all aspects of freedom of information requests from the initial review and decision on disclosure through the appeal stages.
We have been retained by the Counties of Simcoe and Grey,the Cities of Owen Sound and Markham.
We also assist private clients.
- Provide advice and opinions on municipal powers and capacities;
- Provide advice from procedural matters to privacy legislation, road closures, line fence disputes and land acquisitions and dispositions to financial matters such as local improvements and fees and charges;
- Provide advice to municipal council members on their roles and duties to the corporation, scope of authority, issues regarding municipal elections, and how to best manage conflicts;
- Understand the unique circumstances municipal governments and corporations find themselves in when disputes arise, including concerns regarding accountability, financial exposure and prudence;
- Offer strategic thinking and defensible solutions, usually in consultation with senior staff that are closest to the issues;
- Assisted with implementing Master Transportation Study including drafting and negotiating the upload and download of identified roads;
- Draft and negotiate haul route agreements and policies;
- Assist municipal clients with preparing precedent agreements to allow internal staff to take control;
- Assisted upper-tier municipality with all aspects of waste management services.
"I've known Shari for almost twenty years, having worked with her early in my legal career. Shari is highly motivated, capable and has a keen awareness of the importance of client service. You can trust that she will handle your legal matters with expedience and professionalism."
Lisa James, Lawyer
"For the past 10 years I have been interacting with Shari Elliott in a professional capacity on several files and issues. I remain impressed with her knowledge and practical approach to very complex issues."
"We have been very pleased with the work that Shari Elliott of Elliott & Elliott has done for our municipality. One of the great things about Elliott & Elliott, and their staff, is their customer service. They are very efficient, your emails and calls get quick responses, they are very knowledgeable and provide excellent service. All of our concerns are dealt with in a very timely and professional manner. It has been a pleasure to work with Shari and I would highly recommend Shari and her firm as your legal counsel."
"Shari has provided us with strong representation on some very complex matters. She grasps concepts quickly and takes direction from her clients providing the legal advice necessary to manage the file to resolution."
"Throughout the time that we worked together, I found Mrs. Elliott to be hardworking, versatile and professional. Mrs. Elliott provided legal services from real estate transactions, to drafting agreements to providing general legal advice. The quality of her work was always excellent and professional. The legal advice and opinions were straight forward and in easy to understand language and were always completely in a timely manner. Mrs. Elliott took the time to familiarize herself with her clients in order to provide services that went above and beyond legal services. Mrs. Elliott ensured that files were followed through to completion and worked to ensure that files were closed in a reasonable time frame. She is excellent at co-ordinating various aspects of files and could always be counted on to ensure that all pieces of the puzzle came together, even in situations involving many individuals."