Shari Elliott has over 10 years experience as an Environmental Lawyer. Shari’s experience as a member of the Environmental Group at Osler, Hoskin & Harcourt included both litigation and corporate commercial aspects of environmental law. Since relocating to Barrie with her family Shari has continued to assist private, commercial and municipal clients with environmental matters.
- Assisted the Ministry of the Environment to develop a system to review properties historically identified as landfill sites and where appropriate removed the sites from the landfill inventory for planning purposes;
- Assisted private landowners with remediation of contaminated properties;
- Assisted commercial entities with compliance matters;
- Commencing and defending claims with respect to environmental contamination disputes.
Shari’s philosophy is to work cooperatively with the regulator and clients to obtain the most effective and efficient resolution to environmental compliance issues.
- Assisted municipalities with acquiring lands for landfills and the associated assessment areas;
- Assisted the County of Simcoe with negotiations for land related to landfill operations which has resulted in a significant decrease in the need for land to be expropriated;
- Assisted the Ministry of the Environment and County of Simcoe with updating the Simcoe County Landfill Inventory;
- Maintaining Simcoe County Landfill Inventory on behalf of the Ministry of Environment and the County of Simcoe;
- Assisted with drafting waste policies for official plan;
- Assisted with ensuring compliance with certificates of approval.
Environmental Contamination in RE Transactions
Click on the following link to access a guide on What to Expect When an Environmental Officer Inspects Your Property
"Shari is a very knowledgeable environmental lawyer who I often call for advice and to obtain her insight. She 'knows her stuff' and when dealing with environmental issues, you need someone very qualified. Shari is that person!"
Melissa King, Manager, Geoenvironmental Services
"I found the law office of Elliott & Elliott to be very professional, and I was extremely pleased with the work they did on my behalf. I would not hesitate to use them again."
"The issues surrounding environmental law are frustrating and complex, especially when they directly affect the value of real estate. Shari uses her vast knowledge and connections to plow through the requirements needed to resolve problems, and gets the job done. Furthermore, she is able to combine the real estate side of the law, specifically pertaining to the future protection of the client where the environmental concerns need to be disclosed and addressed. What more could you ask for?"
Barrie Business Owner
"Throughout the time that we worked together, I found Mrs. Elliott to be hardworking, versatile and professional. Mrs. Elliott provided legal services from real estate transactions, to drafting agreements to providing general legal advice. The quality of her work was always excellent and professional. The legal advice and opinions were straight forward and in easy to understand language and were always completely in a timely manner. Mrs. Elliott took the time to familiarize herself with her clients in order to provide services that went above and beyond legal services. Mrs. Elliott ensured that files were followed through to completion and worked to ensure that files were closed in a reasonable time frame."
"Words cannot express the gratitude and satisfaction on a job well done. Excellent knowledge of environmental and always thinking ahead."
Brian and Cathy